1.30.2009

say wha?

on my way home last night i asked a lady for a cigarette. the usual response is either, 'sorry it was my last one', straight up 'no', or begrudgingly i receive a cigarette.

the only other response comes from people who are willing to give a cigarette but they preface it with, 'it's a menthol..' meaning, 'i know this is gross and you probably dont want it, but please dont judge me for smoking these because i actually enjoy them.' since i smoked menthol at one time in my life (dont judge me for that because i actually enjoyed them) i usually take it anyway.

however, last night, something strange happened. when i asked this unassuming lady for a cigarette she prefaced giving me one by saying 'it's not a menthol'. what?

i said that was better and thanked her for the smoke. upon further thought, i was offended. who did she think i was? would you assume i liked menthol? and if so, what kind of crack head do you think i am? yea i smoked them at one time but that's because i thought the stigma surrounding them was funny and i was being 'ironic'. what framework does this woman come from where the assumption is that menthol is preferred?

my reality was rocked.


2 comments:

maggie said...

smokers are stupid.

B-Sides said...

Oh wait, you mean you don't smoke menthols? Huh. Learn something new everyday.